1 February, 2016 13:17
HOME AND SCHOOL UPDATE, February 2016
1. Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week (TSAW) February 14 – 20, 2016
Home and Schools are reminded to celebrate all school staff during this week of recognition.
2. Annual Reports
Presidents are asked to please submit Annual Reports to the Federation office by: Friday, Feb. 29, 2016. See template attached and online at: http://peihsf.ca/content/template-presidents-annual-reports
3. Volunteer of the Year / Life Membership Awards / School Bus Driver
Nominate a Home and School member for the 2016 Volunteer of the Year and/or Life Membership Award by March 4, 2016. Nominate a school bus driver for the 2016 School Bus Driver of the Year Award by May 15, 2016 More at: http://peihsf.ca/content/awards
4. AGM – April 9th
Mark the date on your calendar to attend the PEI Home and School Federation’s Annual General Meeting & Convention on Saturday, April 9, 2016, 8:45 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. at the Rodd Charlottetown Hotel, 75 Kent Street Charlottetown. Everyone is welcome with each Home and School designating five members (parents and teachers) as their voting delegates. Resolutions and registration information will be mailed to presidents by mid February.
5. Nominate Officers to the PEIHSF Board
Home and School Associations are asked to consider nominating persons to sit on the provincial Home and School Federation Board. Select individuals who can do the work of the Federation in its advocacy work for all students in the province. See nomination form attached.
* February is Count Your Cubes! month! Heart and Stroke Foundation, PEI, PEI Healthy Eating Alliance and go!PEI will launch a 28-day The Sugary Drink Challenge encouraging Islanders to count and reduce the number of sugar cubes they’re consuming in common beverages like pop, juice, sports drinks and vitamin waters. Sign up for the challenge at: info Win prizes of a $100 Sobeys gift card and two $50 Indigo gift cards.
Contact Melissa Arsenault at mjarsenault or Angela Dawson at addawson
* Rick Hansen Foundation – Building inclusive play spaces:
Any group interested in building inclusive play spaces in your school or community, can access a practical toolkit at: schools or call toll free at 1-800-213-2131 or Karen Morrison kmorrison
* Grade nine SIS students to pilot new curriculum resource on Indian Residential Schooling From February 16th through April 1st, SIS teachers Darrell DesRoches and Stuart Smith and pre-service teachers Josh McIntosh and Lomeharshan Lall will pilot with social studies students the new curriculum resource Practicing Reconciliation through Education: The History and Legacy of Canada’s Indian Residential Schooling System. Stay tuned for important updates to H&S members on this innovative and Truth and Reconciliation Commission-inspired collaboration between the Department of Education, Early Learning & Culture, English Language School Board, Mi’kmaq Confederacy of PEI, PEI Human Rights Commission, PEI Teachers’ Federation and UPEI Faculty of Education.
Prince Edward Island Home and School Federation Inc.
Shirley Smedley Jay, Executive Director
PO Box 1012 Charlottetown PE C1A 7M4
Street deliveries only: 40 Enman Crescent C1E 1E6
Phone: 620-3186 Fax: 620-3187
Toll Free: 1-800-916-0664 (PEI only)
“I must do something” always solves more problems than “Something must be done.” ~Author Unknown